Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Engine Damage Inspection

I knew ahead of time that the heads looked good. My next step was to pull the heads and jugs off so I could inspect the bottom end.

The only specialty tool I used was a puller for the stator cover. It was about $20 from Corsair Tools. You can find a link to their site on the Vendors page. I would definitely recommend it. Pulling the stator cover was very easy.

As I have pulled parts off I have taken great care to label and bag everything to make the rebuild easier.

After pulling the jugs and pistons we were able to see the problem quite easily. There was a spun connecting rod bearing. That would explain the clanking sound the previous owner was hearing.

Some galling was found on the horizontal jug and piston as well as some scoring on the crank where the bearing came apart.

The jugs are lined with Nikasil. I'll be honest, I am learning about this stuff as I go. So far I have been able to find out that Nikasil can only be cut with diamond hones. You can however deglaze them with ball hones, brushes, or scothbrite pads.

From what I can tell I may be able to save my jugs with a little restoring of the cross hatch.

My options on the Nikasil jugs are replacing them, sending them off to be replated, or trying to rehone them.

After getting the jugs ready I will need to have the crank machined and install new pistons and rings.

My next step is to go further into the bottom end and check on the transmission. A good bit of bearing material worked its way through to the bottom so it needs to be inspected and cleaned.

If any readers have any advice on any of this or find that I have any mistakes please comment and let me know.












No comments:

Post a Comment